My dad loves this soup. I was totally shocked, because he hates squash. Like he will not touch a squash with a ten-foot pole. But he is dipping potato chips in it as I type. Not that I recommend that for health reasons, but still, I have never seen him even consider eating anything orange. So even if your family hates squash, make this soup. You may be pleasantly surprised.
- butternut squash - 1 medium, peeled, seeded, cubed
- garlic - 3 cloves, unpeeled
- butter or bacon fat - 2 tablespoons
- chicken broth - 4 cups
- salt - to taste
- black pepper - to taste
- bacon - diced cooked, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place cubed squash and garlic cloves in a 9 inch by 13 inch baking dish. Toss with butter, salt, and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, or until tender. Carefully peel garlic cloves. Place squash and garlic in a blender. Pour the stock over. Puree until very smooth. Pour into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Serve topped with diced cooked bacon and additional black pepper.