When a reader requested that I make a paleo spritz cookies recipe for the holidays, I had to at least try to make them; I can’t pass up a challenge! I racked my brain trying to remember what spritz cookies were like, remembering frosted butter cookies from childhood Christmas parties.
I think the cookies that I had at those parties were store-bought, because they tasted stale and I never liked them. This recipe is what a butter cookie should taste like – light and flaky and topped with frosting! These turned out so perfectly, as you can see…
And before you ask, no, those sprinkles are not paleo. Not even close. But they’re so pretty!!
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract - omit for nut-free
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cassava flour
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease a large cookie sheet with a little butter.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and coconut sugar.
- Mix in the egg, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Stir in salt and cassava flour.
- Use a cookie press to press the cookies in desired shapes onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 6-10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together all frosting ingredients.
- Frost cookies and top with sprinkles if desired.