It’s not a secret that I love a good snack bar. I recently tried a Quest brand cookie dough protein bar. It has sucralose and dairy protein; I know it’s not healthy, but man was it delicious.
As with every other delicious unhealthy thing I love, I wanted to create a version of these bars with real food ingredients. So I ground up some homemade almond butter and set to work.
These delicious bars were the result. I added some Vital Proteins beef gelatin because I love it and because I love the texture that it gives things.
The sweetness level of these bars can be changed; I used three tablespoons of maple syrup and the bars were just slightly sweet. Adding 6 tablespoons would make them dessert-like.
Go make some protein bars!!
Where to find:
- almond butter - 1 cup
- honey - 3 tablespoons
- coconut oil - 1/4 cup, melted
- pure vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- salt - 1/3 teaspoon
- unflavored gelatin - 1/2 cup
- cacao nibs - 3 tablespoons
- Mix together all ingredients and press into an 8 inch by 8 inch glass baking dish. I didn't use the whole area of the pan; pressed the dough into a rectangle in the pan leaving about 1 inch of the pan without dough. I did this so that the bars would be a little thicker.
- Freeze until firm and cut into bars.
- Store in the freezer in an airtight container and pop out when you need some cookie dough in your life!