In our house, Breakfast Casserole means something very specific. Every year around the holiday season, we usually have family stay at our house and the customary breakfast used to be an egg and veggie casserole with a base of tater tots and topped with olive, onions, mushrooms, and peppers.
When we went paleo, we subbed white potato hashbrowns for the the tater tots. But I wanted to make a truly paleo breakfast casserole. So in this recipe, I swapped spaghetti squash for the potato shreds. The results are lower in carbs and higher in nutrition; plus who doesn’t love spaghetti squash?
I made this recipe on a Sunday so that I have easy breakfasts throughout my week! It’s also a perfect recipe to save for later for when you have holiday company! It’s definitely a lighter dish, so pair with some sausage or fruit, or serve it as a light breakfast on Thanksgiving morning.
You can also serve this paleo breakfast casserole with Paleo Cinnamon Rolls on Christmas morning. Yum.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 12 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped sweet bell peppers
- 1/2 cup sliced [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEWDOT6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CEWDOT6&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=ORBIU3EUNUF4ZIBH” target=”_blank”]black olives[/url]
- 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 12 [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DAD698/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B015DAD698&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=HTGYYTU5AF6D2WJR” target=”_blank”]eggs[/url]
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HTJ2BQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001HTJ2BQ&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=ZOJIHYSFA3QQ6OGF” target=”_blank”]coconut milk[/url]
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E6BRUW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000E6BRUW&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=AMGYNOGJ6YFBRVZD” target=”_blank”]Salt[/url] to taste
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095FWPZE/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0095FWPZE&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=SZ6YBWNSBGGUNR3N” target=”_blank”]Black pepper[/url] to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, peppers, olives, and salt and pepper. Saute just until the veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, poke the spaghetti squash all over and microwave for 10-15 minutes. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds, and scrape out the insides. Place the spaghetti squash “noodles” evenly in a 9″x13″ glass baking dish.
- Evenly spread the meat and veggie mixture over the spaghetti squash.
- Whisk the eggs with the coconut milk and salt and pepper and pour over the veggies and meat in the baking dish.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until center is firm.
- Let cool a bit, slice, and serve with cut up fruit.
If you buy something through one of the links in my sidebars or posts, I may receive a small commission to support my blogging activities, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.