There was a period of time in my childhood that I have decided to refer to as the Magic Cookie Bar Era. What that means is that every time we would go to a get-together, playdate, party, or potluck, my mother would make her amazing 7 layer bars, or magic cookie bars. Come to think of it, there was also a Blonde Brownie Era and a Cake Mix Cookie Era in my childhood, but the Magic Cookie Bar Era was my favorite.
My mom’s recipe for magic cookie bars was pretty standard; flour, butter, sweetened condensed milk, baking chips, sugared coconut flakes, etc. But they were the BEST; my favorite cookie-type dessert by far.
I kind of forgot about this amazing dessert when gluten-free and paleo came into my life. But just the other day I was inspired to create a paleo-fied version of magic cookie bars. But I didn’t really feel like baking anything. I googled around to see if I could find a no-bake version of magic cookie bars, but it was nowhere to be found. So I got to work!
And the results? Well… Not to toot my own horn here or anything, but these are AMAZING. They taste almost exactly like the cookie bars of my childhood, but with no grains, refined sugar, or dairy required! And they’re NO BAKE! So basically they’re way to easy to make and way to easy to eat the whole batch. You’ve been warned!
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut flour, coconut oil, and maple syrup and mix together with fork.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a 8"x8" glass baking dish.
- Place the coconut butter and maple syrup in a microwave-safe bowl and warm for a few seconds; mix together. Should be fairly runny.
- On top of the coconut flour crust, layer, 1/4 cup chocolate chunks, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, and 1/3 cup coconut flakes. Pour 1/2 of the coconut butter/maple syrup mixture evenly over the top.
- Repeat the layer with the other 1/4 cup chocolate chunks, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, 1/3 cup coconut flakes. Drizzle the pecan butter evenly over, and top with other 1/2 of coconut butter/maple syrup mixture.
- Sprinkle with some extra coconut flakes if you like.
- Chill until set.
- Cut into bars. Keep leftovers chilled.