I am slightly obsessed with chia seeds lately. I know, I know, they’re not a superfood, but they do have some good fiber and they are so versatile for cooking. I have been eating chia puddings pretty much every morning, and I also love chia seeds in kombucha.
Chia seeds are pretty energizing, which makes them a great addition to a paleo energy bars recipe. These bars also have almonds, coconut, chocolate, and dried cranberries for a delicious balance of good fats and carbohydrates.
These bars don’t have to refrigerated to stay solid, so they are the perfect addition to a road trip, camping trip, sports practice, or emergency purse stash.
They taste kind of like a beefed-up macaroon because they have so much coconut. Delicious!
[Tweet “These delicious chia snack bars are portable and energizing!”]
- raw almonds - 1 cup chopped
- unsweetened coconut flakes - 1 cup
- chia seeds - 1/3 cup
- dried cranberries - 1/3 cup
- dark chocolate - 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- egg whites - 2
- pure vanilla extract - 2 teaspoons
- pure maple syrup - 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8"x8" glass baking dish with coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almonds, coconut, chia seeds, cranberries, chocolate, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites, maple syrup, and vanilla. Pour over the nut mixture and mix well.
- Press firmly and evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool, slice, and enjoy.