Well, I finished my first every 21 Day Sugar Detox on Monday, and I must say I’m very happy that I did it! It was definitely hard not eating sugar for 3 weeks, but it was so worth it!
Benefits I saw from the detox:
…So did I cheat on the detox?
The answer is yes. And no. And kind of.
I cheated to the degree that was necessary to do my job. I’m a freelance recipe developer so I have to make sure the recipes I create for clients taste good whether I’m detoxing or not, but beyond very small-bite taste testing, I staying true to the program.
You can check out the 21DSD recipes I created while on the program here.
I’ll be adding some more low-sugar treats to the site in the coming weeks, so let me know what you would like to see!
While I am limiting my sugar, I do work out pretty hard (as well as 3 hour weekly rock climbing days at the gym) so I need some safe starch. That’s just one of the reasons that I love cassava flour; it’s a whole food source of healthy carbs and it is basically magic when it comes to grain-free baking.
So I’ll be enjoying cassava now that I’m not on a sugar detox and working on getting stronger, and these biscuits are a perfect way to eat cassava!! I’ve been on a quest for a fluffy and flaky paleo biscuits for a while, and I must say these are pretty close! I love how they rise and are soft in the middle and a bit crisp and flaky on the outside.
My family said these tasted like wheat flour biscuits, and I think there is a really good plate of biscuits and gravy in my future!
- 1 cup cassava flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and grease a cookie sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cassava flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Whisk the egg whites, egg, and vinegar and in a separate bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Pat out on a cassava-floured surface 1/2" thick and use a pint jar to cut into small biscuits. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Cool and enjoy.