There’s been a revelation in the world of AIP baking, and I cannot take credit for it. Rebecca from Lichen Paleo, Loving AIP has a recipe for No-Nut Tigernut Spread (aka homemade AIP nut butter). I was a little skeptical but I had to try making it because I knew it would be totally awesome to have an AIP nut butter sub. The results astounded me; this recipe basically tastes like almond butter!
Now I love to bake with almond butter, so I decided to try my hand at some AIP baked goods with a tigernut butter base. Everything I’ve made with it has been phenomenal, and I’ve also figured out how to make the nut butter coconut-free; I just subbed mild-tasting olive oil for the coconut oil. I think the reason it works so well is that making the flour into a spread concentrates the prebiotic fiber content. As a result, it can mimic eggs really well! These muffins are the fluffiest and most-like-non-paleo AIP muffins that I have made so far! I know you’ll love them!
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://lichenpaleolovingaip.com/no-nut-tigernut-spread-aippaleosugar-free/” target=”_blank”]tigernut butter[/url] (follow the link to find the recipe for how to make homemade tigernut butter. If you can’t have coconut oil – which the recipe calls for – then sub a mild oil like refined olive or avocado)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A64NAJ8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=organic%20applesauce&qid=1458510392&ref_=sr_1_6_a_it&sr=8-6&linkCode=ll1&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=73fa0b065c3a35727dd40df515edbc25″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]unsweetened applesauce[/url]
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9ZM5Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=plantain%20flour&qid=1458510417&ref_=sr_1_1_a_it&sr=8-1&linkCode=ll1&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=8b658023f33ecdb814ca7bd800e5db53″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]plantain flour[/url]
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTPQUCG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=water%20chestnut%20flour&qid=1458510425&ref_=sr_1_1_a_it&sr=8-1&linkCode=ll1&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=e2baf5e28ac3d3c712fe4e5381fab3bf” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]water chestnut flour[/url]
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a mini muffin pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the tigernut butter, water, and applesauce.
- Add the cinnamon, plantain flour, water chestnut flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Divide between 8 mini muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.