I believe this recipe took me four tries to perfect, and I have lots of not-quite-perfect cookies in the freezer. It’s difficult to make a perfectly-textured cookie without the use of coconut sugar or maple syrup! But I’m so glad I kept trying, because these cookies are the perfect not-sweet treat.
One of these cookies is soft and satisfying, studded with homemade “chocolate chips” that don’t require any weird ingredients.
Make a batch of these today, or pin this recipe to make on meal prep Sunday; you can freeze these and take them out one and a time throughout the week!
These turned out crisp on the inside and soft on the inside; thanks in part to Anthony’s Goods Culinary Almond Flour; their almond flour is pretty much the only one I’ll use now that I’ve tried it!!
- Chocolate “Chips”
- 2 tablespoons [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0108Y1QPU/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0108Y1QPU&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=UKAEAC5ONO5IF2XE” target=”_blank”]coconut oil[/url]
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E5E0Y2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001E5E0Y2&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=CXMHBHWGYIZDDYLF” target=”_blank”]raw cacao powder[/url]
- 1 green-tipped banana
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons [url href=”http://www.anthonysgoods.com/products/anthonys-almonds-culinary-grade-blanched-almond-flour” target=”_blank”]almond flour[/url]
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJ757SK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJ757SK&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=3FG3YCO66ELMH6KL” target=”_blank”]arrowroot starch[/url]
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour (I only recommend [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSZBEAG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00BSZBEAG&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=KXKPJUOIZV3OWJ7T” target=”_blank”]this one[/url] and [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KENKZ8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000KENKZ8&linkCode=as2&tag=coituppa-20&linkId=CYP6LJQYWTDQEQT4″ target=”_blank”]this one[/url])
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the coconut oil, coconut flour, and cacao. Microwave until melted and stir.
- Line a plate with parchment paper. Pour the coconut oil mixture onto it in an even thin layer and pop in the freezer while you prepare the cookie dough.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a large cookie sheet.
- Mash the banana in a bowl and mix in the butter, egg, vanilla, and salt.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot, coconut flour, and salt.
- When the chocolate in the freezer has set, remove it from the freezer and break up into little pieces. Stir into cookie dough.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet and flatten out a little.
- Bake for 15 minutes.