I believe this recipe took me four tries to perfect, and I have lots of not-quite-perfect cookies in the freezer. It’s difficult to make a perfectly-textured cookie without the use of coconut sugar or maple syrup! But I’m so glad I kept trying, because these cookies are the perfect not-sweet treat.
One of these cookies is soft and satisfying, studded with homemade “chocolate chips” that don’t require any weird ingredients.
Make a batch of these today, or pin this recipe to make on meal prep Sunday; you can freeze these and take them out one and a time throughout the week!
These turned out crisp on the inside and soft on the inside; thanks in part to Anthony’s Goods Culinary Almond Flour; their almond flour is pretty much the only one I’ll use now that I’ve tried it!!
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the coconut oil, coconut flour, and cacao. Microwave until melted and stir.
- Line a plate with parchment paper. Pour the coconut oil mixture onto it in an even thin layer and pop in the freezer while you prepare the cookie dough.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a large cookie sheet.
- Mash the banana in a bowl and mix in the butter, egg, vanilla, and salt.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot, coconut flour, and salt.
- When the chocolate in the freezer has set, remove it from the freezer and break up into little pieces. Stir into cookie dough.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet and flatten out a little.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
This recipe is formulated for those on the 21 Day Sugar Detox, so it is not sweet. If you are not on the detox, you may add some honey or maple syrup.